Experienced Trial Lawyers
More Than 100 Years Of Combined Experience On Your Side
Missouri Veterans Disability Lawyers
Are you a veteran seeking disability benefits for total unemployability? Perhaps you are trying to ensure that your claim is successful, or maybe you are now appealing a denied claim. Or perhaps you are still unsure about how to start the process of claiming.
At any point in your veteran total disability benefits application, we at Shea Kohl Law are ready to assist you. We are a Missouri law firm with great respect for veterans like you, so we offer practical, no-nonsense legal services to help you secure the maximum benefits you deserve.
We have been servicing both Missouri and Illinois residents since 1984, we have been serving Missouri residents, and we can do this for you, too. Call Shea Kohl Law today at (636) 946-9999 to see how we can help you with your VA disability claim.
Veterans Individual Unemployability Compensation (Total Disability)
One of the primary benefits you may be able to claim is disability compensation. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides this monthly tax-free payment to veterans who are disabled due to injury or disease incurred or aggravated during their active service. Note that this is compensation, not a pension, so the amount you may receive has nothing to do with your income. Instead, it is meant to repay you for your injury or illness while serving.
To qualify for this benefit, you must have the following:
- Evidence of at least one service-connected disability AND
- That the service-connected disability or disabilities are sufficient, without regard to other factors, to prevent performing the mental and/or physical tasks required to get or keep substantially gainful employment (marginal employment, such as odd jobs, is not considered substantial gainful employment for VA purposes) AND
- That one disability is ratable at 60%or more, OR
- If more than one disability exists, one disability is ratable at 40% or more with a combined rating of 70% or more.
Injuries covered by this benefit include both physical and psychological ones. Examples are gunshot wounds, arm and leg injuries, back and spine injuries, traumatic brain injuries, toxic exposure, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), Gulf War syndrome, and more.You can receive a few benefits regardless of age.
Basic benefits for veteran’s disability can range from $123 to $2,673 a month depending on the degree of disability. This amount may increase based on factors such as a loss of limbs and if you have dependents.
Missouri State Benefits For Veterans
Aside from the federal benefit programs of the VA, states also have their own programs to assist veterans. For example, in Missouri, these are some of the state benefits you may explore:
- Property tax credits. If you are a 100 percent VA disabled veteran, you may get credit for a portion of your real estate taxes or paid rent for the year. The maximum credit is $1,100 if you are a homeowner and $750 if you are a renter.
- Veterans preference for state employment. You may get a five-point or ten-point preference when testing for a state employment position. This benefit may also extend to your spouse.
- Fishing and hunting license. If your service-connected disability is 60 percent or more, Missouri may allow you to fish or hunt without a permit, or to get free licenses.
Why You May Need A Lawyer
It’s possible to apply for veteran’s disability benefits by yourself. However, there are challenges in the application process, especially with the VA, that are difficult to overcome without the legal knowledge and experience of an attorney.
The VA is known to be stringent in screening veterans’ claims. For instance, the Government Accountability Office found that the VA denies more than 80 percent of claims for Gulf War-associated disabilities. Veteran advocates are aware that many of these denied claims are rejected due to simple mistakes in the paperwork and procedure. This is one area where a lawyer’s guidance could prove valuable for an applicant.
When an application is denied, the appeals process may be even more complex and challenging. In fact, the VA itself could make serious errors in this process – in recent years, the Department has been found to mistakenly withhold millions of dollars’ in disability benefits from eligible vets. Errors like this affect numerous veterans, but can be corrected with the help of competent attorneys.
The bright side is that lawyers help veterans succeed in about 90 percent of appeals cases, according to the Board of Veterans Appeals. There is no doubt that enlisting a lawyer in your disability benefits application gives you a crucial advantage in receiving what you deserve.
What Shea Kohl Law Can Do For You
With our 100+ years of combined experience, we at Shea Kohl Law provide the legal services that create your advantage in claiming veterans disability benefits. These services include:
- Determining all the benefits you may be eligible for
- Helping determine the maximum amount you may receive
- Assisting you in accomplishing the paperwork completely and correctly
- Helping collect powerful evidence (medical, financial, etc.) supporting your claim
- Guiding you on your next best steps, especially in an appeal
- Asserting and advocating for you if you have been treated unfairly.
Shea Kohl Law is based in St. Charles, MO. We serve the counties of St. Charles, Lincoln, St. Louis, and Warren, as well as nearby areas in Illinois.
We can start just by talking about your veteran disability situation. Your initial consultation with us is completely free. Call Shea Kohl Law today at (636) 946-9999.
Call Shea Kohl Law, LC at (636) 946-9999
or contact us online to schedule your initial consultation.
Use of this Website does not create an attorney-client relationship. The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely upon advertisements. Any and all pictorial representations, people and or situations contained on this page or any other page in this website are simulations for purposes of advertising and for this site and are not actual clients or situations.
Shea Kohl Law, LC serves clients in Missouri including St. Charles, Troy and Lincoln and throughout Warren and St. Louis counties. We also serve clients in Illinois.